Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Thursday, August 4, 2011

When is your favorite time in the Garden?



Hi Everyone,

It remains so very hot in Florida and the rest of the U.S ! I, for one, am not able to do much gardening or trimming, etc. but I have a wonderful gardener one day a week here at Ten Gables, who doesn't mind the heat and who does a beautiful job trimming plants and mulching.



Just before the sun is going down, when the shadows are long and the day is winding down, is my favorite time in the garden.




Last week the gardener worked on the area around the patio and even though some plants had died because of the heat and earlier drought conditions, he was able to make the area neat and attractive. Above you see the trimmed boxwood hedge and the pretty tree he keeps sculpted to perfection. The banana tree has done well after freezing last winter. I suppose it loves the heat!



This "scrub" tree which just appeared here as a tiny start has grown handsomely and gives a natural focal point to the garden. The birds love it. Perhaps they are the ones who brought a seed and dropped it here so they would have a little tree in which to rest!












The Plumbago loves the heat and has been blooming profusely for a few months. I have an old oriental garden ornament in front of it, which weathers so lovely. I happen to love the patina of rusted metal!




















This little fellow is an ornament given to me as a gift and it looks cute in the garden beside a caladium.


You can see how the gardener spread the mulch and made the ground look tidy.











The Plumbago from a distance showing the garden stepping stones. Late in the evenings, as the sun goes down is my favorite time in the garden. It has cooled off a bit, and the birds are quieting down getting ready to quit their activities. It is so quiet and peaceful. When is your favorite time in the garden?











5 comments:

  1. My favourite time to be in the garden is early on a summer morning, soon after the sun has come up. Everything is quiet and not yet hot, but with wonderful light conditions - eminently suitable for photography!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely garden. I like to go out early in the morning before it heats up and the mosquitos aren't out yet. And I like to walk around late in the evening at sundown, sometimes camera in hand. The garden is cool and quiet,but full of mosquitos. Yours looks lovely, despite the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Early in the morning is my favorite time. Your birds sure are smart to plant their own tree! Your garden looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, the morning seems to be the favorite.I guess it gets hot so early here, just about sun up it can be 90 degrees! More favorites??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is looking lovely! My favourite time is anytime it's not raining (we get alot of rain!). I love having a cup of coffee out in the garden in the morning. I was out at 9am this morning weeding.

    ReplyDelete