Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Comfort Food...Navy Beans



Hi everyone and welcome to Ten Gables,


After deciding that I need to eat less meat and more fruits and veggies, for health reasons, I thought I would cook a big pot of healthy beans for protein. So, at the market, I looked at all the packages of dried beans and selected Navy Beans. I did not want to season them with either salt or meat, so how in the world would I get them fit to eat???


First, I washed them, looking them over carefully for bits that might not be beans. Then I put 1 lbs. of beans in a large pot with 8 cups of water and brought them to a boil. I then let them boil for 2 minutes, turned off the heat and let them sit for 1 hour. Next I poured off that water, washed them again and put them in 6 cups of fresh water. Now, what to add!! I added several leaves of celery, a dash of salt substitute, pepper and a mixture of herbs and spices called "Better than Salt". I then added a package of no sodium beef broth seasoning. I am not trying to be a strict vegetarian, but don't want the fat in meat and I am allergic to pork, so do not eat ham, which is traditionally what one would use to season dried beans. Well, let me say that these beans turned out delicious! They were soft and cooked just right! I simmered them about 3 hours. The seasoning was good, too, not overpowering but you knew there was thyme, garlic, celery, a little basil, maybe a bit of sage and whatever else that made them yummy. I had enough to freeze some for later, too. A nice alternative to meat! Best of all, not full of salt.

4 comments:

  1. Beans are really good in soups and salads. I'll have to check out the dried bean selection in the grocers. I suppose any meat type dish like chili etc could be made with a selection of beans rather than the meat. P.S. The veg basket from your Hawaiian Luau looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now that I should fix more beans. They are just really good for us, but I don't know how to fix them from scratch. Our office secretary gave us some white beans last year and they were really good. I think I'd put mine in the crock pot and let them cook all day. Since hubby likes meat, I would add turkey sausage or turkey polska kilbaska. Your recipe sounds pretty yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound good, but I have to say that the combination of pork and beans is wonderful - one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very healthy dish! Good source of protein!

    ReplyDelete