Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pink Depression Glass Collection

Hi everyone,
I hope you are having a nice Sunday and I sincerely hope you are safe from the Hurricane called Irene.
I have inherited a good many pieces of Pink Depression glass from various relatives and then added some to my collection myself. It first was found in Oatmeal containers as premiums during the Depression. It has been called "the poor man's glass" because it could be purchased in five and ten cent stores and mail order catalogs, as well. It was made in amber, green, pink, blue, red, yellow, white and crystal. There are also many different patterns. I like to use mine with the table covered with an old quilt and fresh pink roses in the center. Nowadays, you can find it in any antique shop, some colors easier to find than others, and all fairly reasonable.










This piece makes a good "spooner". Grandmothers everywhere used them on the kitchen table to hold spoons at the ready for that good cuppa tea or coffee!

4 comments:

  1. I adore your depression glass collection, it is lovely! And how beautifully you have displayed it, well done Egretta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pink depression ware. You have a huge collection Egretta. I have just a couple of pieces from my late Mother in Law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very lovely collection! You have arrange them beautifully! I wish i can find them here!

    ReplyDelete