Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Red Mulch


Hi Everyone from Ten Gables Cottage,
The local Home Depot has a great buy on mulch today, so after church, we stopped by for a bunch of bags of red mulch. In Florida, it helps keep our plants from dying when the dry season is here, which seems to be most of the time, except in hurricane season (June-November)! Actually, we should be starting to get rain showers almost daily, but we are in drought conditions!
I water my garden every evening, but that is not the same as a good drenching rain.
The mulch was on sale for $1.12 a bag plus I get a 10% discount on top of that, so basically it runs about $1.00 a bag! Great price! I prefer buying bags as to truck loads, because they are easier to handle and a lot neater in the long run. Plus, where are you going to dump a whole truck load? Plus, then you have to wheel barrow it around. I prefer to use a dolley and take bags to where I need them and dump one bag out at a time and spread it. I got enough today to do my veggie garden and finish the rose garden. I'll post photos of the finished job....when I get it done. I feel rather lazy this afternoon and it is Sunday, so maybe I will rest a bit, pray for rain, and paint in my studio!
Have a good afternoon yourself!

4 comments:

  1. Egretta, what is this Red Mulch made of? Is it organic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the red mulch in ireland, it's a really nice colour. We seem to have chip bark just.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good deal on the mulch! I've tried it all - bags, truck loads, etc. Now I just use pine straw, which has its own drawbacks. My daughter bought some black mulch that I thought was beautiful against her white gardenias. I look forward to seeing your red mulched beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red mulch is made of forest products, such as wood chip bark, pine bark, etc. with colorant added, no pesticides. It is made to help keep down weeds and keep moisture in. In my rose garden, I put down a black plastic barrier under the mulch, leaving space around the plants so water can get into the ground. This helps keep weeds at bay. The red color of the mulch will fade over a period of time, until it is almost brown again. The colorant is not harmful. My artist's eye just likes it!

    ReplyDelete