Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Monday, March 21, 2011

Easter Egg Tree


Hi everyone,
Yesterday was the first day of Spring, although it could really have been several weeks ago here! But we are enjoying some great weather and things are really showing new growth.
Just look at the Easter eggs this little tree grew! Ha!
Actually, every year a few weeks before Easter, I hang plastic colored eggs all over it. My grandchildren expect me to do so! The first year I did it, Andrew was only just walking well, and he went right to the tree and began gathering all the eggs that he could reach and removing them. I suppose he thought that was what he was supposed to do, so I just gave him a basket and he had great fun taking them all off! Every year I have an Easter egg hunt for the two grandchildren, filling about 200 plastic eggs with coins and they have great fun hunting eggs!

This poor little tree, which is a dwarf Hibiscus tree, almost bit the dust this winter, when we had a freeze. Not used to such, it lost every leaf and looked quite desperate until finally it began to get green leaves. I have not trimmed the twigs yet, but will do so after Easter to encourage new growth. In spite of it's plight, I did see one hibiscus flower on it today! It also leans to one side and we have staked it. Poor thing!

1 comment:

  1. The easter bunny has arrived early at yours and left a nice splash of colour.

    ReplyDelete