Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Decorating with Christmas Tree Toppers


Hi Everyone,
For the past couple of years, I have been buying Christmas tree toppers after Christmas on sale and at yard sales, antiques shops, etc. for pocket change! I think they are so cheap because people are afraid to use them, as most of them are very fragile glass. Some are plastic, though, but still a bit fragile. However, my creative spirit said to buy them anyway! As my grandson, Andrew, once said when he was about 3, "My Mommy says that if it is on sale, then buy it". I thought that was terribly wise for a three year old!
So I have gathered these toppers up and decided to wire dowel rods about 6 inches long at intervals on the tree and then place a topper on top of each dowel. The largest topper was placed as the tree finial , of course. The toppers are secure. I love the elegant look of them! I placed three of them in brass candleholders, too, and they make a very pretty grouping, as you can see in the photo. I usually load my trees down with decorations, but this year I thought the toppers would be prettier on a tree with just a few Christmas balls and white lights. I will use the handmade decorations on another tree which I will post later in the week. Happy Christmas decorating! It is one of my favorite creative things to do.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Egretta; Your Christmas tree looks very stylish. I think many people (particularly your countrymen!) go a bit over the top. Sometimes less is more, as they say. How about making some edible tree-decorations, such as gingerbread ones??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so unique and beautiful! It looks like you turned your tree into a multicolored candelabra!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot of Christmas decorating and have never seen this done before. It is very unique and different. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does remind one of a multicolored candelabra! I love Christmas decorating and try to think of unique and creative things to do each year! Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your tree, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete