Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Buying Rocks!

Hello everyone,
Do you remember that I painted some little bunnies on rocks for Easter? Well, I also wanted to paint other animals and I needed different shapes of rocks. But alas! There are no rocks here in South Florida. I remember when I first moved here from Kentucky, I wanted to make a nice terrarium and put rocks in it, so I went out in the garden to find rocks and could not find even one!! I quickly found out that all we have here is what is called Shell Rock, which is just deposits of shells, thousands of years old!















I decided to go to a beautiful nursery that is at FT. Drum, Florida, quite a drive from my house, but they have literally tons of different rocks from all over the U.S. and Mexico. Here are some that I bought. I bought about 60 lbs. of rocks.

My friend, Beth, went with me and she also bought a bunch of pretty rocks. We wanted to get some stepping stones to paint on, too, but I really thought we should wait until we get these done!




















It was tempting to buy a few of each but we rose above the temptation and settled for the river rocks.








3 comments:

  1. Ohhh, those bunnies are just the sweetest things Egretta. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bunnies are cute! You and beth must have a artistic hand!

    ReplyDelete