Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Crafty Things



Hello Everyone,  I have just completed embroidering 12 little 9 inch quilt squares for a baby quilt.  I will be putting it together today at church in our quilting group, and it will be for sale at our church bazaar in November.  The summer here is so hot that it is a great time to stay indoors and work on handwork. I was taught as a child how to embroidery.  My mother was a great seamstress and could do crewel embroidery, regular embroidery with all the different stitches, as well as needlepoint and quilting, so I learned them all before I was a teen.  By my teen years, I made all my clothes.  I always loved anything at all that you use your hands and is a bit creative.

These squares were already printed with a design. I found them on the internet and they were very inexpensive.  Many of them were worked on while my husband was in the hospital with knee surgery and I was with  him.  It sure helped pass that time!

I will be setting the quilt up with pink checked gingham fabric and will post the finished quilt.

This cute pincushion is not one I made; I bought it in a new shop we have here.  I thought I might make some similar myself to sell at our bazaar.

It is one you can wear on your wrist...see the elastic band?  Underneath it, on the back the lady who made it wrote "Sew Pretty".  Neat, isn't it? I just love anything with "yo-yo's" on it!
I also bought these cute coasters cut from an old faded quilt.  They were just cut out and then a zigzag stitch put around the edges.  How simple and how clever! I think I have an old "cutter" quilt here that I bought just for crafts, so I will be making some of these too.  Now is the time to start on Christmas gift crafts and crafts for the church bazaar.  I have more things to show you coming up later!  See you then!

5 comments:

  1. The baby quilt will be so pretty. As you, I learns to embroider as a child. I have not done any for so long. I also did cross stitch when my girls were little. I do admire fine needle work. Such a shame that little girls are not learning now to stitch. Do show us the quilt when it is done. Perhaps you should come visit us for it has been cool this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very lovely baby quilt! You're really creative! I know a little about cross stitch but it's been long since I practise one....;(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your embroidery is beautiful, the quilt is going to be so pretty. I'm a sucker for gingham, I don't think there's anything nicer for a little girl's room. I envy anyone who can use a needle and thread, I'm ok when it comes to knitting but I'm not very good at all at sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative and pretty - the embroidered pieces are going to make a beautiful quilt. I like the items you bought too - pretty and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt will be amazing, I love the embroidered girls. I have not embroidered for years, but remember it was a great way to pass time while waiting or watching TV, can't wait to see if finished! You are so right, now is the time to get started on Christmas projects!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete