Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Creative Day--Painting and Baking...

Hi Everyone,
Today has been one of those fun, creative days where one project just isn't enough and you have to do several!
I had some fun painting!


















Check out this gourd I painted for a Fall decoration. It is whimsical and kind of cute. I made a little felt star to glue on the stem. It will look great mixed in with some Fall leaves.



















Then I noticed some McIntosh apples I had bought and thought I would make some baked apple hand pies. My mother used to bake these and they were always a hit. You can just pick one up like you would a sandwich and munch away.















First I peeled and cooked the apples, adding a small bit of sugar and some cinnamon, a dash of cloves and a dash of nutmeg. That smelled delicious!















I rolled out the pie crust and cut in little rounds, put a dollop of apples in the center, folded them over and sealed the edges by using a fork all around the edges. I sprinkled with a tiny bit of sugar and some more cinnamon.















Baked until light brown, here is how they look. No, I didn't just make three....I made 12, as I plan to freeze most of them for when someone pops by and I need a quick dessert!











I did try one with a cup of tea and it was YUMMY!

5 comments:

  1. Hand-pies are evidently what we used to call "Turn-overs", though being a Cornishman I have to say they are really sweet versions of the Cornish pasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, Mark. My mother called them "Fried Apple Pies" because she deep fried them. I don't fry anymore, so I baked them....still as good! I never hear them called "Turn-overs here, but there is a pastry that we call turn-overs...kind of like a filled doughnut, only a triangle shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Egretta, I have a basket of apples on the counter begging for me to do something with them. I think I will make apple hand held pies. They look simple and yummy. Your sunflower painting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egretta I love the gourd. You are such a wonderful artist.Oh, yummy. Those apple hand pies look so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little apple pies sure do look good! Hope the weather gets a bit cooler as 90F (your last post) sounds super hot. We've had a heat wave in Ireland this week - 70F!

    ReplyDelete