Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Monday, April 14, 2014

What's Happening at Ten Gables??Hi

Hi Everyone, Here is a little update about what is happening at Ten Gables Cottage. For one thing, my friend and I have completed the handkerchief  quilt for our quilting group who hosts a bazaar in November. It will be displayed and raffled off then. We used 30 vintage hankies, or more, as some blocks have 2 in them, plus a bit of lace and embroidery to embellish. 

We were really pleased at how it turned out. Some lucky person will win it come November.
  The garden continues to grow. Here are the tomatoes in full bloom with lots of small green ones on them. This is in my "Granny Garden", the elevated bed made in a horse grain trough. You can see the big squash leaves on the side. I have 3 or 4 little zucchini growing, but if all the bloom made squash, I'd have 35!! Why is that? The plant itself doesn't look really good. It has lots of dried up leaves as well as blooms, but lots of green leaves, too. I think it has something wrong....maybe a dusty mildew. I am not sure if I water too much or too little. I don't get water on the leaves when I water, but then the rain does fall on it.  I need to read up on growing zucchini, for sure!! Any advice out there??

A pineapple is coming on. It will be about July or August before it reaches full size and is ripe.
I am not sure what kind of bird this is. He has a curved beak and talons, but is smaller than a full grown eagle, so I am not sure if it is some kind of hawk or a young eagle. Maybe it is an Osprey. It was far away and I had to use my max close up lens which isn't the greatest. He is eating a fish he has caught, so I am thinking it is an Osprey.  Well, that is the morning at Ten Gables. Hope you are having a great day.

4 comments:

  1. The bird might be a Fish Eagle, which I think are quite common in your part of the world.
    Re Courgettes - have a look at the website of our Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) - http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Grow-Your-Own-Veg/Veg-A-to-Z/Marrow,-courgette,-squash-and-pumpkin-(1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is full on. You must be enjoying some wonderful dishes. The quilt is splendid. I have seen other projects that use handkerchiefs, but not a quilt. Lucky person, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt!
    Your garden is so lush! That's promising looking pineapple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the milky water for the mildew; it worked on my oregano. 20-30% milk to water. I used whole milk and put it all over the leaves of the plant with my fingers. By the way, the quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete