Ten Gables Cottage

Ten Gables Cottage
Ten Gables Cottage

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Decorations and Hand Painted Card


Hi Everyone, 
At the craft bazaar, I bought this little glass snowman from a lady. She had glued together two clear class bowls found, I am sure, at a dollar store and then sprayed them with spray snow and after it dried, added the features and made him scarf and hat. Very cute. Got to find a place to put him!

My grandson, Austin, helped me put the tree up the day after Thanksgiving and to decorate it. This year I decided to use all the old ornaments that were handmade or those given as gifts or bought on our travels. Every ornament has a story and that really makes it special.

The three caroling dolls were made by my mother in the early 60's. I love their old fashioned faces that she embroidered on. They are very special to me. 
I think I must be in an old fashioned mood altogether! I painted a couple of cards this year and then printed them out on the computer. The colors don't look as bright as in the original, but they have that old fashioned look. They remind me of cards from the 40s or 50s. I never start early enough to get all the things done that I want to do before Christmas, do you? I wonder when one should start in order to get it all done....maybe before Thanksgiving, especially the card making. I did do a lot of ornaments early on. Today I am getting some ornaments and candy packages ready to mail. Got to run.....I hope you are busily enjoying your holiday preparations, too.

3 comments:

  1. I think that "old-fashioned" look is very attractive. I don't like the very bright, garish cards that you see so many of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your decorations look great. I like the snowman the lady made, very creative. Your Christmas card looks really pretty! I'm in an old fashioned Christmas mood too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year I think that I should start Christmas projects in the summer. Love your card. I have made cards in previous years using stamps and colored pencil--I am not an artist. Your tree is wonderful and how nice to have a grandson help out, making sweet holiday memories for him.

    ReplyDelete